Thursday, August 7, 2008

Celebration of Learning (Preparation)

Gosh...many of us have been working really hard since 2-3 weeks ago all for the TPS once a year Open day called 'Celebration of Learning' this Saturday. What's my job? Well, to train a group of choir in the performance & also to take care of the 'Cats Exhibition', a fund raising for the SSPCA initiated by Ms Anne Marrie, our Kindy & Primary coordinator.

Due to the POOR sound system, I have NO choice but selected few kids to sing... ahem... you're right, the ever-green African 'Siyahamba' song. I have also added one more African freedom song called 'Freedom is Coming'. The medley really sounds great! I couldn't get more than 3 guys singing, therefore, the bass part is eliminated; sadly. I've got 5 sopranos, 5 altos and 3 tenors forming a semicirle so that their voices can be captured by the mic in their semicircles. Well, this is not the 'correct' ways of arranging the choir, but what the heck; it sounds above my expectation!

Okay, enough story about the choir. Wondering what the Cats Exhibition is? Well, it's not really a 'real-real' cat thingy. Ms Anne Marie got this idea of getting kids to draw cats and put them in the exhibition in conjunction with the Open Day. People are welcomed to give freely to the SSPCA since it's a non profit organization and they really need lotsa finance to run the activities. So I got my primary kids to draw nothing but Kuching for the past few weeks. Ewww..cats in, cats out daily for the past 21 days??? The kids wanted to vomit and so do I. After looking at all the drawings, gee... I just can't deny the beauty of the young kids' naivete; nothing else but the truth kinda thing. Their perception of cats, etc speaks more than we adult who always in our human nature try so hard to explain and defend ourselves.

Since the exhibition is going to be held in a small meeting room, my idea is simple; that is to make a back-lane view for these cats to be. I have to motivate myself you know, doing things that I enjoy and yet is beneficial to the project. I finally got my international music kids to prepare 3 backdrops; 2 brick walls & 1 Broadway Musical Cats. Oh man, I was really excited yesterday when I had the opportunity to finally put these walls up. Ho ho ho...purely my delight to see the New York-subway-look was 90% completed today! Yhooooo... I'm So contented. My students who saw part of it commented that they didn't expect it to be that good... for a few seconds, I felt proud. Real proud; yes of the students, myself & as a team :)

Just few hours ago, we also managed to try out the new face paint that I bought (blessing from French teacher, Ms Sandrine who hapilly sponsored the paint). We are going to have 2-3 cat women. I gotta train these ladies how to draw in more people and most importantly, get them give cheerfully financially!

Guys, if you are free this Saturday, just pop in the school. This is the only time we show case students' work especially in the area of Art & Music. Classes are open from 8:30-9:30am where you can see how teachers do their teaching that time and right after that the Art & Cats Exhibition will start till abt 11.00am. The whole event will end with student performance in the hall, and it should officially end at about 12 mid-day. Hehe, my African songs will be the last item. I'm looking forward next week, where Term 3 will close the week after next. That means I'll have my 1 week break... do not envy me, I deserve it :@)

Before the cats & the Cats Musical backdrop has just being out up!

I'd to cover the bright white light with orangy kite paper & of coz with cute paws - wahlah, it works perfectly!!!

Does it look 'dirty' & 'messsy' enough to you??? You know me, I just love it to be DIRTY & MESSY!

Adrian, another Art teacher who is always the man-behind the scene; works SO HARD for the art exhibition...

Some of the students artwork. Interesting huh???

Ms Dalia & few kids were helping...

Trial; cat woman

More pictures coming after this Saturday :)

No comments: