Sunday, August 15, 2010

Giving without Return!


This happened just this morning after the church service. After getting some groceries from Wollies I went straight to the bus stop to wait for the bus, as usual. While listening to Don Moen worship songs, I suddenly felt someone poking on my left shoulder. To my surprise when I turned my head over, I saw an old lady with shabby clothes on. She started asking me about the bus detail going to some kind of hospital name, etc and I knew the conversation would always end up with getting some spare change. True enough, she asked for a dollar for bus ride. Normally I DON'T entertain such 'rubbish'.

You know we are always being taught that if the person is physically well, he or she should work and stop begging! While I was thinking about giving or not giving, God just reminded me of the testimony in the church this morning; it was about being generous. The testimony has encouraged me a lot and mmm...it was a testing time, wasn't it? I'm not sure... but when my heart tells me to give, I just give and yes a dollar is not much by the way, but that's not the issue. While waiting for the bus to come we had about 15 minutes to chat. I started asking her a lot of questions; where do you live, do you pay rent, what do you do for living, etc. All the answers sounded alright till I asked her how many children does she have? Guess what she answered me; 100!!! Oh my my my...! She added on saying she had 50 boys and 50 girls. I asked her further how old they were and she told me they were in teens... 'wah piang ehh'... she's actually a psycho... sad isn't it, yes sad. She is also most probably a homeless old lady. Man, how blessed I am when I think about it. Aren't you blessed too?

The Riverview church here just recently did a great community work for the homeless people. Guess what they did! 80 volunteers from the church participated in helping the homeless by setting up sections to 'service' the homeless people. The idea is very interesting. There are hair trimming section, new clothes section, shower section etc. Can you imagine how happy the homeless people are when they have their hair cut, took shower and putting on their new clothing?! What a good community project! If you are reading this, why don't you try to bless the local community in certain creative ways?

I'm blessed and so you are!

No comments: